BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020 – Fire Alarm System British Standard
What is the latest BS 5839?
Changes to the BS 5839-6:2019 means the latest British Standard in fire alarm systems is the BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020. We’ll run through what type of changes have been made in this blog post.
What is the BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020?
The BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020 gives recommendations for systems in both new and existing domestic premises. This new British standard is for architects, enforcing authorities, installers and people responsible for implementing fire precautions in domestic properties.
The new 2020 British standard is a code of practice for the design, installation, commissioning & maintenance of fire alarm systems and detectors in domestic properties.
What is the new grading system for the BS 5839?
The new and improved grading system for the BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020 British standard:
- Grade A – separate detectors, sounders & central control & indicating equipment, backup supply that conforms to BS EN 54
- Grade C – separate detectors & sounders, mains powered with backup power supply & central control equipment
- Grade D1 – system of 1 or more mains powered detectors with tamper-proof standby supply with batteries
- Grade D2 – system of 1 or more mains powered detectors, with integral standby supply, user replaceable batteries
- Grade F1 – system of 1 or more battery powered detectors, tamper-proof batteries
- Grade F2 – system of one or more battery powered detectors, user replaceable batteries
How do I conform to the new BS 5839?
Simply follow all the advice the new BS states, if you do have any questions regarding which products to purchase which conform to the BS 5839-6:2019+A1:2020, The Safety Centre can help, contact our friendly team today.