BS5839 Part 6 2004
The British Standard Associated with Fire Alarm Systems Installations in Dwellings is BS5839 Part 6 2004. This part of the British Standard is split up into 3 categories of systems. These categories are as follows:-
- LD1 – Alarms in all circulation spaces that form part of escape routes and all areas where a fire might start, but not bathrooms, shower rooms or toilets
- LD2 – Alarms in all circulation spaces that form part of escape routes and rooms or areas that present a high fire risk
- LD3 – Alarms in circulation spaces that form part of escape routes
The category of system that should be installed in a building is often defined by Councils, Insurance Companies, Fire Officers, Building Control and many others.
The above categories indicate the category of system that should be installed. Further to this information different grades of system may be specified. These are as follows:-
- Grade A – A full system with control and indicating equipment installed to BS 5839: Part 1
- Grade B – Detectors and sounders using simpler specified equipment
- Grade C – Detectors and sounders or alarms with central control
- Grade D – Mains powered alarms with an integral stand-by power supply
- Grade E – Mains powered alarms with no stand-by power supply
- Grade F – Battery powered alarms
These grades are used in conjunction with the category type, to indicate what type of system should be installed within the property. For example if an LD2 Grade A system is requested, this would require a system with alarms in circulation areas that form escape routes and high fire risk areas with the equipment with control and indicating equipment compliant to BS5839 Part 1.
Commonly the Aico Detectors range is used to achieve category LD1, LD2 & LD3 systems with dwellings. This range of detectors are generally mains detectors which can be interlinked. The interlinking can be done either by a hard wired cable or interlinked wirelessly using the Aico Radiolink Base range. These detectors are part of The Safety Centre’s Domestic Fire Alarm range.