Residential Homes Must Have Both Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms.
As from October 1st 2015, private landlords are now required by law to install both Smoke and Carbon Monoxide and is punishable by a fine of up to £5000.
Changes to the regulations include:-
– Landlords must fit a Domestic Smoke Alarm on every storey
– Landlords must fit a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in every room with a solid fuel burning appliance
– Domestic Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms must be tested and working on the start of each tenancy
– Penalties of up to £5,000 for those that flaunt the rule. It is outlined that the relevant Local Authority will enforce
It also states that:-
– There is no grace period
– The regulations do not stipulate the type of alarm to be installed however the Q&A booklet states:‘Landlords should make an informed decision and choose the best alarms for their properties and tenant’.
– Although the legislation refers only to solid fuel burning appliances in relation to CO alarms, the Q&A booklet states in relation to gas appliances that: ’we would expect and encourage reputable landlords to ensure that working carbon monoxide alarms are installed in rooms with these [gas appliances].’
The Safety Centre has a large selection of both Domestic Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Alarms available, with prices starting from as little as £5.93 ex VAT. As ever our experienced and friendly team are on hand to answer any question you may have or to assist with the placement of these alarms.
Call us NOW on 01200 428410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.